Who expected the tiny eastern Colorado town of Byers to host one of 2013’s most-anticipated music festivals?
It’s fair to say this weekend’s Riot Fest and Sideshow is a surprise to everybody.
As the third and final Riot Fest stop of 2013, this weekend’s bash in Byers (an hour east of Denver) has been marked on our calendars for a while. So here are five reasons fans will be breathing fresh country air on Sept. 21-22. See the full Riot Fest Denver schedule here.
1. The ’Mats: Rock fans have been waiting for Paul Westerberg to announce a Replacements reunion for years. The influential rock act reintroduced itself to audiences at all three Riot Fests this year. (Sept. 21)
2. Pop-punk fantasy: If you’re a fan of ’90s/’00s pop-punk, Riot Fest is your wonderland. The line-up includes AFI, Brand New, Alkaline Trio, Against Me! (Sept. 21), Rancid and Bad Religion (Sept. 22).
3. A check on your rock ’n’ roll bucketlist: When you’ve lived life like Iggy Pop, you’ve lived a full life. And rock fans haven’t truly lived until they’ve seen the Stooges frontman live and in the flesh — fronting the band he’s best known for, even. (Sept. 21)
4. The indie connection: Riot Fest Denver isn’t just for the pop-punk at heart. Despite the rowdy name, the music fest also features a number of calmer indie acts. Maybe your more of a mellow person, or maybe you need to cool down from all the mosh pits, but be sure to catch Yo La Tengo, Matt & Kim, DeVotchKa, Guided by Voices and Superchunk.
5. Teenage fantasy: Teens who were the die hard Blink-182 fans in the band’s “Take Off Your Pants and Jacket” days are finally 23. Now, there are no parents telling them they can’t go to the show (hopefully), and they’re old enough to drink at a Blink-182 show. Childhood dream realized!