News: Radiohead to release new record SaturdayBy Ricardo Baca | February 14th, 2011 | No Comments »
And to think, we could all be listening to the new Radiohead album as early as … Saturday!
The British band announced this morning that “King of Limbs,” its eighth album, is now available for preorder at its website. The day-after-the-Grammys announcement surprised many, and the band’s peculiar methods of securing the record also might startle fans. Digital-only fans can get preorder the files now ($9 for MP3, $14 for WAV) for download on Saturday. Folks who want something a tad more involved can opt for the “Newspaper Album” option, which runs $48-$53 (depending on MP3s or WAVs for the downloaded portion).
Here’s a bit more from thekingoflimbs.com:
“Radiohead’s new record, “The King Of Limbs,” is presented here as the world’s first Newspaper Album, comprising:
• Two clear 10″ vinyl records in a purpose-built record sleeve.
• A compact disc.
• Many large sheets of artwork, 625 tiny pieces of artwork and a full-colour piece of oxo-degradeable plastic to hold it all together.
• The Newspaper Album comes with a digital download that is compatible with all good digital media players.
• The Newspaper Album will be shipped on Monday 9th May 2011 you can, however, enjoy the download on Saturday 19th February 2011.
• Shipping is included in the prices shown.
• One lucky owner of the digital version of The King Of Limbs, purchased from this website, will receive a signed 2 track 12″ vinyl.”
Radiohead’s last record, “In Rainbows,” was release in October 2007 as a pay-what-you-can digital download — later followed up with an actual CD/vinyl release.